Monday 20 January 2014

The Joy of being a Nature and Wildlife Photographer

Yes . I do nature and wildlife photography. And this surprises many. They wonder why did I chose this when many other, profitable and money making , photography genres were available. Didn't I know that in this age of digital photography my chosen line is the most common and full of nature and wildlife photographers.

Well , I tend to agree with them but not fully. I concede that nature and wildlife photography is hardly remunerative. I haven't sold any picture as yet and know that others like wedding , product or fashion photography more lucrative. Above all , at times , I feel as if  there were some animus prevailing towards this branch of photography , a subtle effort to discourage it .Don't believe me . O.K. try entering Dudhwa or TATR with right type of  photography equipment.You will be charged a hefty amount as fee if you happen to carry a DSLR or a zoom or telelens of 250 mm and above.

I tell my critics that I do nature and wildlife photography simply for the joy of it and not for money. And the abundance of same genre photographers  in the line doesn't bother me. After all isn't this earth overpopulated and teeming with humans ? Million and millions of them. So does that mean that I should cease to exist !
I also tell my critics that perhaps they do not understand the challenges and demands of my genre of photography. Dear critics it is the only genre where the subject doesn't go to studio nor can be asked for a pose. More often than not the subject is not a city dweller but of a desolate jungle , some inhospitable desert,  mountain or sea. The photographer has to approach and wait for his subject for hours and days. That means  lot of patience and capacity to cope with inconveniences of all sorts and risks. Also in this genre the photographer doesn't control the elements. The light may be good or may not be good. But the photographer can not complain of it and is supposed to click that prized shot or the deciding moment irrespective. That requires perseverance plus a bit of luck too.
Two years back , while on a safari in the Bandhavgarh National Park , I saw a Crested Serpent Eagle crash diving in the rivulet side thicket and then come up with a four-five long snake gripped in its talons. The snake was alive and writhing , trying to free itself from the death grip. What an excellent photo opportunity that was ! I was lucky to be at the right place at the right time. Excitedly I urged my driver to speed up a bit. And as luck would have it , the eagle , after a short flight , perched with the prey now in its sharp curved beak , on a Mahuwa tree (Bassia Latifola ) branch facing my direction. The light was just right , the sun behind me. Photographing it was a real joy.

I also feel that the true joys of nature and wildlife photography sometimes lie in the unexpected. Last December at TATR , on a cloudy afternoon , my guide spotted a Leopard in the bushes which was sitting looking sideways some two hundred meters from the jungle road . I had some difficulty initially in spotting the leoaprd in the poor light as its skin camouflaged perfectly with the yellowing dull grass . But I could spot it after a while and hurridly focused my cmarea to get the shot. I pressed the shutter and lo ! The leopard got up and disappered in the jungle.
I wasn't very sure  about the shot . I feared that I had missed it . But no . I had succeeded in capturing the image of that illusive fine muscular beast.
I am sure my community of photographers feels and derives pleasure in pursuing nature and wild life photography as I do . It may be non glamorous , pinching on pocket and non remunerative. But it is enormously joyous and satisfying . It is a unique passion. Who can deny.

J R Mohan.
😊








<script async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-2331515138562989"
     crossorigin="anonymous"></script>


1 comment: